Monday 27 April 2009

Review of Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth


Released 1974

"Memories of a life on earth go flashing past, of home, of Grauben, friends of whom he's seen his last. Contemplating what his life's been worth, while trapped beneath the earth, an embryo at birth. Pain and fear destroy the beauty I have seen, of caverns, where no other man has been Silurian epoch hosts me as my grave, My final blow I wave."

I have reached the point in my chronological cataloguing of my first encounters with my the classic prog albums where I begin to get genuinely confused about what, where and when I bought specific albums. This is largely due to the transition from living at home in Cornwall to moving away to Glasgow to attend University. Switching and back forth between the two locations makes this part of my historical recollection difficult enough, but when I add in the drastic increase in alcoholic and chemical intake, it becomes extraordinarily challenging.

As such, I'll hold my hands up now and admit that several of the following reviews will be out of sequence. Any of the reprobates who I know me, and who are following this will no doubt delight in correcting me.

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth then falls squarely into this category. My fuzzy memory is further confused in this instance by the fact that I have purchased at least three copies. I should briefly add that this was not the first Rick Wakeman album I purchased. However, I only remember 1984 as being terrible and therefore not resident for too long on my shelves.

I do remember JTTCOTE being roundly ridiculed amongst friends at University, primarily for what is undoubtedly one of the most hilarious vocals on any record ever. Referring to the album sleeve now, I see that vocal duties were shared between Gary Pickford-Hopkins and Ashley Holt. Exactly. Who? Whichever one of them is responsible for the buttock-clenchingly awful warbling when delivering the vocal in The Battle, probably shudders in shame whenever he is reminded of his association with the record. Then again, it was recorded live in one take.

Despite being largely deserving of ridicule due to the laughable vocal and a bonkers concept, it actually holds together pretty well as a whole. In fact, I have grown to appreciate it more in recent years.

It is well known that Rick Wakeman mortgaged his granny in order to get the album made. Imagine his pitch to A&M: "it's a concept album with two tracks, based on a novel by Jules Verne, with subterranean monsters, seas and forests, performed live with a full orchestra, choir and narrator, with me wearing a cape and using unknown musicians". Well, he must be extremely persuasive.

Rick certainly is prog to the core.

From the outset with orchestra and choir in full flow, it sets out it's stall as a work of grand ambition, is very well paced and with the exception of the terribly judged vocal delivery, is very well delivered. There is a real sense of drama and it is clear that as a live event it would have been a tremendous spectacle.

Against the backdrop of classically trained musicians and the theatrical staging, Rick's playing is very effective. Obviously he skirts closer than most to self-parody, but, to be fair, his flair, humour and individuality should win over all but his harshest critics.

As an ensemble piece it is well realised, and in terms of achieving what it set out to achieve, it is a remarkable effort. Yes, it wasn't until the third copy that I saw it's true quality, but it was worth the perseverance.

1 comment:

  1. In true prog style I now call upon the spirit of Anfortas, the Fisher King in the Ring Cycle, whose wound does not heal.
    If we were to look for the people who forever wounded the reputation of prog and reduced it from its pomp to its current Spinal Tap image then I accuse...

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer for their monstrously bloated and famously photographed tour (The three lories with E L & P)

    Peter Gabriel for his human haemorrhoid (he seems like such a nice man now...)

    And Rick Wakeman for his bloody ice rink!!! I know it was a different album, but still...

    ReplyDelete