Thursday 26 February 2009

Review of Spirit's Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus


Released 1970

"Oh, I'm rolling, flowing through the whole population
(Mr. Skin you know where you've been)
Oh, the high and the low born are my friends and relations"

When I stumbled across a second hand copy of Spirit's Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus in a market in 1984, I allowed myself a smug grin. With several worthwhile music books fleshing out my immersion in all things prog, I had already read up on Spirit and knew several interesting facts about the band.

I knew that Randy California was taught to play the guitar by Jimi Hendrix, when the latter was in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, that Ed Cassidy, the imposing bald headed drummer was Randy's stepfather, and that the keyboard player, John Locke, claimed to be a direct descendant of the English Philosopher of the same name. I was aware that this was a well respected example of (relatively) early American prog. As such, it was with great relish that I handed over my £2.50 for this copy in very good condition.

I wasn't overly enthused by the cover. Actually, none of Spirit's album covers showed any real inspiration. The melted faces of the bands was very reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Piper At the Gates of Dawn, although the effect was much more extreme; maybe they took stronger drugs than Syd Barrett.

Having yet to experience any non-British prog, I had an very open mind about what to expect.

My first impression was that this wasn't a true prog record. Most of the tracks clocked in at the three or four minute mark. There were very 'poppy' strains; simple and repetitive chorus', as well as several main stream rock style posturings: lots of 'ooh's' and 'aah's' more in line with Jim Morrison than the intellectual eclecticism's I had picked up from Yes and Genesis etc.

However, underpinning the deceptively simple short song structures was a connecting theme; each track flowed into the next where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I have no idea who Dr Sardonicus is (was?) or what inspired these dozen odd dreams, but - unlike my last prog purchase ( Yes' The Yes Album), by the time the needle floated towards the centre hold at the end of the second side, I was smitten. This was sing-along prog with a bona fide guitar hero to boot. Every listen revealed another layer of bonkers lyrics, of delicate keyboard work, almost inaudible sound effects or gorgeous psychedelic guitar. Wonderful stuff.

This was top drawer prog that none of my friends had ever heard of. Now, that was worth £2.50.


1 comment:

  1. Ah! Spirit. This is still an album I listen to regularily. As is Potatoland for its funky disco 1984 potato flavoured concept. Poor Randy. Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete